I am glad you are here. You must have a passion for fabric!
I want to help you spoil your loved ones with
bold and beautiful quilts made with love and unique bags.
What is a successful quilter, you may ask?
– a quilter who enjoys making quilts
– a quilter who shares her (his) quilts and passion with the loved ones
Who is Geta Grama?
I’m a passionate quilter living in Romania.
I’m an author and quilt and bag pattern designer.
I challenge quilters to try new things and grow their quilting skills. I help them quilt more and have more fun.
I discovered quilting absolutely by chance in 2001, on the Internet; seduced by the new world of combining fabrics, patterns, and colors, at the age of 33, I abandoned my engineering profession and dedicated entirely to quilting.
The beginning of my quilting journey: EVERYTHING is possible! I am the proof!
In my country quilting is an unknown craft so these things that for most of you mean nothing, for me were big victories:
– the first quilting book I bought; I studied it with a magnifying glass and an English-Romanian dictionary; the day I understood what is the difference between “batting-backing-binding-basting” was a big day!
– the day I brought the sewing machine with free motion quilting foot
– the day I managed to free motion quilt
– the first fabric order in a quilt shop in USA.
The biggest challenges?
– stitching in a ditch – I had a hard time understanding this technique only from a few pictures in a book
– free motion quilting – it wasn’t unusual for me to spend even 2 hours trying to achieve a decent stitching on my machine!
With no one near my shoulder to give me even the smallest advice and no blogs with tutorials or videos, everything I had to learn required a HUGE effort and a lot of time! But eventually, I managed to make quilts!
The turning point…
I was so lucky that I found my biggest love in quilting: shadow trapunto; of course I like many quilting techniques, but no one is like shadow trapunto.
In 2012 I even I wrote a book!
I started writing patterns and I turned my hobby into a little business- thank you for your support!
A little story about my biggest dream!
I had a dream and the dream came true; I had two quilts in the 2008 Houston judged show; you don’t know what this meant to me.
Try to imagine this: a shop beautifully decorated for Christmas and filled with the most amazing toys (that is Houston quilt festival). And a poor child (that is me, very poor because of the lack of quilting tradition in my country) who has been looking through the windows to all the wonders in the shop.
But in 2008 the child managed to enter the shop and enjoyed all the wonders…
Fast forward a few years later: two award-winning quilts
My quilt “A World of Many Colors” won an Honorable Mention at the Houston Judged Show of the International Quilt Association, “A World of Beauty”.
The friendship quilt I made with my Romanian quilting friends won 3rd place at the same competition above.
Curious to know more?
I thought you might 🙂
Here are a few random things you might want to know about me.
– the first quilting website I visited on Internet was Jinny Beyer’s website. Her logo quilt amazed me: it was the most beautiful thing I have seen in my entire life! The colors and shapes revealed a world that I have never imagined it could exist. In that moment I fell in love with quilting. 10 years later I bought a kit from her and I made a quilt in the pattern of her logo.
– I owe my entire quilting life to my family: my sister Oana pointed me to quilting, the members of my family are my biggest fans and my husband always supports my quilting needs.
– I have three sisters and they are not quilters; together we stitched a wonderful project for our mother; if I need a helping hand, they are always there for me! Sewing together is our favorite way of spending time together.
– I love Mylene Farmer’s music as much as I love quilting! I traveled to Paris three times to attend her concerts. I made even a quilt for her– it is one of the most exciting projects I have ever made!
– I love the green color and for the 25th anniversary of my marriage (which will happen soon) I dream to stitch myself a long green lace dress!
I am so glad you are here!
Your next step? It’s FREE!
Receive your copy of my Free Motion Quilting eBook – tips for easy and fun free motion quilting; sign up here.
PS. I am afraid that my quilting will always be better than my English! But I hope the universal language of quilts helps me speak about my passion for quilting!